Welcome to Joel Kinnaman Fan, your leading source for everything related to the talented Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman. Here you’ll find all the latest news, in-depth career information, high quality photos and much more!

We hope you enjoy surfing the site, and make sure to return soon to stay updated on everything Joel. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or concerns! – Staff
September 07,2014

HollywoodReporter.comWill ‘Knight of Cups’ premiere this year?

Between 1973’s Badlands and 2011’s Tree of Life, Terrence Malick directed only five films before quickly releasing his sixth film, To The Wonder, in 2012. Now, at 70, Malick looks to increase his career output considerably with three new films: two narrative features, both in postproduction, and a documentary that’s been in the works for years. As Christian Bale recently told Indiewire, “Terry is on fire.”

As with all Malick projects, the new films are shrouded in secrecy. That’s possible because his inner circle and crew are small and extremely loyal, while his cast doesn’t know what footage the improvisational director will put into the final film. The films are reportedly nearing completion, two of them jam-packed with Hollywood’s biggest stars and the third soon to be set free after being held hostage by a contentious legal battle.

Inside Indie has combed through interviews, movie and music blogs and unauthorized set photos to determine what we actually do know about the next wave of Malick’s output.

1. Knight of Cups and The Untitled Austin Film are not part of the same story
When it was first announced in November 2011 that Malick would shoot his two narrative projects back-to-back with significant cast crossover — including Bale, Natalie Portman and Cate Blanchett — there was speculation that the films were companion pieces.

One of the strongest connections between the two films was thought to be Bale, who is the lead in Knight and was the first to be seen shooting with Malick, in Austin during the 2011 City Limits Music Festival. These concert scenes were later reported to only be part of preproduction, and Bale told Indiewire he didn’t think he’d be in the Untitled Austin Film: “With Knight of Cups I was there the whole time. The other one I unfortunately wasn’t able to do everything I was meant to do, so I ended up doing like three, four days on that. Which in Terry’s world means you’re never going to see me in it.”

2. What we know about Knight of Cups
According to its backers Film Nation, “Knight of Cups is a story of a man, temptations, celebrity and excess.” Producer Sarah Green confirmed that the film was about the modern-day L.A. movie business with Bale set as the lead, reportedly (not confirmed) playing a depressed screenwriter. Portman, Blanchett, Isabel Lucas, Joe Manganiello, Wes Bentley, Joel Kinnaman, Antonio Banderas and Freida Pinto round out the cast.

3. Will Knight screen this year?
It has been two years since production wrapped on Knight, which is not an especially long postproduction for Malick. Yet protege and member of the Malick inner circle A.J. Edwards revealed during the Berlin Film Festival that both films would premiere this year. Then earlier this summer, the film’s Italian distributor Ernesto Grassi stated that Knight would come out in limited release in the U.S. later this year.

Possibly the biggest sign that Knight is nearing the finish line has come from the cast.

As Martin Sheen, Rachel Weisz, Mickey Rourke, Gary Oldman and Billy Bob Thornton can all testify, there is no shame in ending up on the freewheeling Malick’s cutting room floor, but no one wants the embarrassment Adrien Brody experienced of promoting a role (The Thin Red Line) only to later discover that role has been cut or greatly reduced by Malick.

So it was very revealing that in spring 2014, Knight of Cups’ supporting actors Manganiello, Banderas and Lucas giddily reported they had made Knight’s final cut. Banderas was even given set photos to approve, while Lucas said she was called in for an ADR session. Feeding the flame, Film Nation gave THR the first official photos from the film and revealed footage to foreign investors during Cannes.

Leave a Reply